The history of Luma Metall AB begins with the start up of Kooperativa Förbundets, KF’s light-bulb factory in the beginning of the 1930’s. The productions started as a protest against the two main manufacturers of light-bulbs on the Swedish market and their high prices.
The first Luma light-bulb was produced in 1931. In 1947, more that 1 350 people were employed and 50 000 bulbs in 4 000 models were produced every day.
The success lead to a development in products as well as processes. In 1935 Tungsten wire was added to the production program. Molybdenum followed in 1943, while tungsten-rhenium was added during the 50’s.
Luma started Gold plating grid wire for electron tubes in 1954. Luma also started its own manufacturing of tungsten wire from Swedish tungsten powder.
In 1976 all wire production was relocated to Kalmar.
In 1994 Luma Metall AB became an independent manufacturer. About 10 years later, in 2003, all production of filaments was stopped and the business direction was transformed. Focus was now set on gold plated and polished wire.
After being acquired by SMG Group, USA, in 2004, the development of gold plating and polishing lines is started. Investments in new and advanced production lines are made in 2006.